Storm response efforts began early this past weekend after tornados and strong thunderstorms swept across Indiana, leaving behind loss and devastation. Our prayers surround our fellow Hoosiers, including those who reside and serve in six of our districts: West, Southeast, Central, Northwest, North Central, and Northeast. Thankfully, we have not received reports of any churches being damaged. Our care and response remain focused on individuals, families, and surrounding communities.
Authorities and first responders are still assessing the damage. We are forming a plan along with federal and state agencies and other non-profits to evaluate and prepare for the long-term recovery process that will be required. We are grateful that United Methodists have begun responding as individuals through their local churches, districts, and the Conference. We know other organizations have also been providing response efforts, sometimes making us want to respond more urgently. UMCOR and United Methodists are known as being the last to leave when people are in need. We will have many opportunities to respond and serve in the days, months, and years to come.
- Here is a list of the immediate needs as of today:
- Continue to pray for all those affected, directly and indirectly, as well as the first responders and those working to restore power.
- Financial contributions can be mailed to the Conference lockbox (INUMC Dept 6089, Carol Stream, IL 60122) or given electronically. Please mark them with “Indiana Disaster Response.”
- Please do not send physical donations or show up spontaneously and uninvited. These actions can overwhelm and create chaos in affected areas. We will let you know when physical donations are needed.
- Indiana disaster early response teams (ERT) have begun to clean up debris and tarp roofs in certain areas. As teams form, please follow the ratio of one ERT paired with one non-ERT. If you want to join an ERT team in one of our many affected areas, please get in touch with Rev. John Young at email@example.com.
- If you have damage and need us to respond in your area, please contact Ron Heustis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have questions about the various affected areas or any information shared, don’t hesitate to contact Rev. Jen Huff at email@example.com.
- Our Conference must have trained ERTs. The next ERT training will be on April 29, 2023, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. at Hamline Chapel UMC, 102 W. High Street, Lawrenceburg, IN. Lunch and all materials will be provided. For more information and to register, contact Rev. John Young at John.Young@inumc.org.
Due to the evolving nature of this situation, please be sure to follow Conference guidance for ways to give and serve. We will share opportunities as we learn more.
Financial gifts can be given either by check or through SecureGive. Please mark your gift for relief assistance “Indiana Disaster Response.” Thank you!
For more information on how you can help, vist pumc.org/2023springstorms.